Note: Access to our systems is likely to change in coming months, as we are extending and re-structuring our resources. Please revisit this page occasionally to stay abreast with any changes.
The standard way to access our resources is though SSH.
For security reasons, we are currently operating only one login node that is accessible from the outside through ssh. The IP address for this (Solaris) login node is
- sfnode0.hpcvl.queensu.ca = 220.127.116.11
Make sure X-forwarding is enabled. This is necessary if you want to use any software with a graphics component. You will need your username and your system access password to get in.
Other nodes, particularly the Linux login/workup node swlogin1 need to be accessed from sflogin0 through ssh. This requires to type the password again:
hpcXXXX@sflogin0$ ssh swlogin1 hpcXXXX@swlogin1's password: hpcXXXX@swlogin1$
For details about using SSH, please check our SSH FAQ.
Secure Grid Portal
Access through the Portal
Note: Currently, portal access to our resources is provided through Secure Global Desktop. This may change in the near future. Please revisit this page to stay informed about any changes.
The systems can be accessed from a Java enabled web browser:
- Visit https://portal.hpcvl.queensu.ca/ directly or press the Portal Login button on our Web Page.
- Login using your Username and Password (same as for ssh).
- You will be brought to the Secure Global Desktop.
- To use any of the applications appearing on the left-hand side, such xterm (swlogin1), click on it.
- If the application is used for the first time, you will be prompted to provide username and password again. The portal will remember it next time. If the information changes, it will prompt you again.
Requirements for Portal
It is crucial to have a recent version of Java installed on your system. This includes a "Java Plugin" for the web browser. Check your Java at this Test Page. If you encounter portal issues they are almost invariably related to Java. Please contact us if you cannot get it to work.
- Microsoft Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10
- Linux Various Distributions
- Mac (Apple) OS-X > 10.5
- Microsoft Internet Explorer
- Mozilla Firefox
- Apple Safari
- Google Chrome does not work (discontinuation of NPAPI support).
The current portal is Java based. Most problems are due to missing or mis-configured Java plugins for your browser. Please see http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp for detailed instructions for installing and configuring Java on your machine.
|Common Issues with Portal / Java|
|Any||Google Chrome||No NPAPI support||Use another browser|
|Any||Firefox||Missing plugins||Re-install Java and test it|
- If you are using Firefox with Adblock you may need to create an exception rule so that the Secure Desktop loads properly. Use this AdBlock rule: @@|https://portal*.hpcvl.queensu.ca which will white-list HPCVL for HTTPS to machines called "portal*"
- SGD Client Not Installed Automatically. Problem: On some systems, the SGD Client fails to download and install automatically. The SGD Client can be installed manually or can be installed automatically using another browser. Solution: For manual install, go to this page and download the SGD client that fits for your system. After installing, shut down the browser completely and retry.
- Missing Compatibility libraries. Problem: On Linux systems (for instance, Ubuntu) the SGD client cannot be installed. Solution: It is sometimes necessary to install additional libraries for compatibility with the SGD client. Go to the Oracle Platform Support page and follow their instructions on how to install these libraries.
- Sometimes the automatic install fails because of Windows Security settings. Cause: Internet Explorer has a Protected Mode that prevents the SGD Client from downloading and installing automatically. Solution: Add the SGD server to the list of Trusted Sites in Internet Explorer's Security Settings.