How To Change Your Password
Re-setting a new password when you have forgotten it
If you want to obtain a new password for accessing the Frontenac system, or if you have forgotten your password and can't login to the system, please (re-)activate your account by following these steps:
- Visit this link and enter your username and email address. Note that the email address must be the one we have on record for you.
Don't forget to check the "I'm not a robot" box before you hit the "Submit" button.
- The system will send you an email with a link. Click on it.
- You will be presented with a temporary password which you can use to log in.
- Use an ssh client to login to login.cac.queensu.ca.
- Note: Your password will not appear while you type it in, and there will be no movement of the cursor. Keep typing the whole password and then hit return.
- Passwords are case-sensitive, so type it exactly as received. If you make too many mistakes, the system will lock you out for a while.
- The system will immediately force you to change the password. You should see the following message:
WARNING: Your password has expired. You must change your password now and login again! Changing password for user hpc1005. (current) LDAP Password:
- At this point you need to type the temporary password again ! Then you see:
New password: Retype new password:
- You need to type the new password twice (for consistency). If everything works out you get:
passwd: all authentication tokens updated successfully. Connection to login.cac.queensu.ca closed.
- After this you will be logged out. Login again with the new password. You're done.
Changing your password while logged in
The standard way to change the password from inside the system is from the command line.
The command to use is "passwd":
$ passwd Changing password for user. (current) LDAP Password: New password: Retype new password: passwd: all authentication tokens updated successfully. $
Please note that the password entry will not appear on the screen, so it may appear that there is no response. Just continue to type in the passwords. If the two entries match a response will be issued.