Parallel Programming with the Posix Thread Library
This workshop is for programmers and scientists with a basic background in C programming, who want to increase the flexibility and responsiveness of their code and take advantage of modern multicore and multi-threaded computer architectures. It is an introduction to the Posix Thread Library and its application to the parallelization of C programs. We assume no prior knowledge of multithreading or parallel programming, but some background in Unix operating systems and programming in C will be necessary. The lectures include demonstrations of example programs on a multicore machine. The following subjects will be
- Parallel Programming and Multithreading
- The Posix Thread Library, Basics of Thread Programming
- Creating and Manipulating of Threads
- Synchronization, Locks and Condition Variables
- Thread-Specific Data and Destructors
Instructor: Hartmut Schmider, Centre for Advanced Computing, Queen's University.
Prerequisites: Basic C programming, some familiarity with Unix.